Here's some '90s nostalgia for you: Remember the golden years of alt country (aka "insurgent country," "Ya'llternative" etc.)? A weird, wild spirit of irreverence and craziness permeated much of the music -- even though every now and then some of the tunes came out quite pretty. The best of the genre celebrated the traditions of country music, even though they frequently made fun of world of country.
Here are some of my favorites. (Note: not all these videos were performed in the '90s, but that's where all these songs came from.)
* "The Death of Country Music" by The Waco Brothers
* "Love, Life, Death & The Meter Man" by Angry Johnny & The Killbillies
* "Hogs on the Highway" by The Bad Livers
* "The Virginian" by Neko Case
* "Papa Was a Steel-Headed Man" by Robbie Fulks
* "My Wife Thinks You're Dead" by Junior Brown
* "My Baby's Gone" by The Backsliders
* "Junkyard in the Sun" by Butch Hancock
* "Tallacatcha" by Alvin Youngblood Hart
* "Cheaters World" by Amy Allison (Couldn't find a video, but here's the Spotify link)
It's been kind of a stressful week, so this'll just be an abbreviated Wacky Wednesday. You might say The Shaggs are wackiness c...
A version of this was published in The Santa Fe New Mexican June 22, 2007 ThaMuseMeant fled Santa Fe for the Pacific Northwest a few ye...
This one I can't believe. Just one day after Al Hurricane ... George Adelo died yesterday. He was a friend of mine. At this point...
I was on the air doing my radio show last night when I learned of the death of Alberto Sanchez , better known as Al...